I got my wisdom tooth out yesterday. On Friday my jaw and wisdom tooth hurt so much that I could barely eat anything. I had yogurt and veggie juice for lunch and rice and tofu for dinner. Naturally I was still pretty hungry but if there's one thing that will force you to eat less, it's tooth pain.
I like to be prepared for things so on Friday I also stocked up on soft, non-chewy foods like bananas (ridiculously expensive here; 5 banana = roughly $5), canned peaches, and yogurt. I also had read that you're not supposed to eat the morning before the surgery because it might affect the anesthesia and/or prevent you from vomiting during the surgery. Neither of which sounded very pleasant so despite my hunger pangs, I skipped breakfast yesterday morning.
My aunt called me and woke me up asking if I felt tooth pain because if I did then for some reason they'd have to postpone the surgery. As it turned out I did have some minor pain but they said it'd be ok to go ahead with the surgery. And I was glad because I really just wanted to get it over with.
First thing they did was prep me with the anesthesia, which consisted of several shots to the left side of my mouth. And that hurt like hell. The inside of my left cheek was already sore and tender and here they were sticking a sharp needle right into it. It was horrible. Then they went to it right away and actually I didn't feel a thing when they took it out. I thought it would take much longer but it was over in probably less than 10 minutes.
Afterward, they gave me 2 shots to the bum and I was on my way.
I had a gauze pad in my mouth for the 1st hours after the surgery for the bleeding and it hurt a it, but not too much. It was when I took out the gauze pad that I really felt the pain. But that, luckily, was temporary and lasted maybe for an hour and then my mouth got used to it.
As of now, it hurts a little but mostly it just feels strange. What I wasn't expecting was to feel so damn tired. I guess it's because I'm not eating enough--yesterday I had yogurt and a mashed-up banana for lunch and rice porridge for dinner--but I just feel very weak. I've been sleeping like 12+ hours lately, a lot even by my standards.
I'm not even sure about work tomorrow. I don't know when I'll be able to eat solid foods again (my jaw is stiff and it hurts to open my mouth) and even just standing there teaching will take a lot of energy out of me, energy I don't really have.
All in all I'm really, really looking forward to when I can eat normally again.
random thought...
15 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment